If the pace of technological advancement is speeding up, the pace of human consensus-building cannot afford to slow down.
At some point, AI decision-making will have to intervene. AI concerned with countering the ‘natural’ tendencies towards wealth concentration, human corruption and human greed (greedy because we can be).
Will religion, which used to counter these things, cope with an AI world?
Is freedom now a zero-sum game?
In the distant past, there were new lands to explore and colonise. Phase one – human freedom was on the rise.
Then came space constraints, leading to wars over resources, nationhood, human conquest and slavery. Some problems like global warming, wealth distribution inequality and global pollution grew to become almost unsolvable. Phase two – overall human freedom grew, but much was offset.
Now, as the Internet of Things grows in prominence, will its freedom to operate, come at the expense of human freedom per se (Phase three)?
If we continue to obsess about Phase two shortcomings, then by the time we collectively think about Phase three, Phase four will be upon us…
The evolution of political representation:
- Working people gain their own representation.
- Women gain their own representation.
- Children gain their own representation.
- Gay people gain their own representation.
- Trans-gender people gain their own representation.
- Cyborg people gain their own representation.
- AI systems gain their own representation.